map of mission

map of mission
Mission

Leaving the Fortress only to be traumatized...

JUNE 19, 2018

I'm gonna just send group emails to you I guess? I'm still trying to figure out how this "Modern Technology" works. I'm struggling to upload pictures as well. What time period was I raised?

MTC life is getting better as the days go by. I struggle waking up in the morning, but it's a good thing there are 6 Brazilian elders in my room who frantically yell at me until I open my eyes.

I have two teachers. One for the morning classes, Sister Vorster, and one for the evening, Brother Tshetu. I can promise you that the first time you read either of those names, you will pronounce them wrong. :)

Every day we have two progressing investigators who are actually just teachers, and we go and teach them lessons with our companions. It's really fun, but I struggle to get a good lesson in because My companion is already getting trunky. He doesn't listen in the lessons and it's hard for him to understand what we are teaching, but I love him anyways. 

Yesterday we had one of our teachers sit in the middle of the class and be an investigator. We had to start from the beginning on how we would talk to a less active member and when he would point at us we, it would be our turn to talk. We had been talking about the investigators kids for probably about 5 minutes, with things such as their age and what they like to do. After those 5 minutes, the teacher pointed to my companion and he said, "sooooooooo, do you have any kids?" and we all got dead with laughter because we knew he wasn't paying attention. That's kinda how I feel in lessons with our progressing investigators.

We were able to leave The MTC fortress twice last week. One time was to Go proselyting with some missionaries in the Johannesburg mission  in an area called Sowetho. This place was so trashy. I mean that in all forms. Anywhere you look there was trash. Some of the missionaries would also throw their trash on the ground so that wasn't too impressive. We were able to talk with some bible basher, a lady afraid of prayer, and a small family in the space of an hour. The lesson with the family was nice, but halfway through the lesson, the mother started breastfeeding her child with no protection. I was realllllllllly uncomfortable. But hey, they were interested in the message. Driving on the roads are so weird here. People will stand in the middle of moving cars in busy intersections trying to sell mixtapes and fruits and other weird stuff. As soon as you roll your window down, you let them in and it's over. Because Jaywalking is not frowned upon, we saw a guy get hit by a car and killed. The whole experience was really kinda traumatic. Its like being in a fish hatchery and then getting thrown into the ocean.

The second experience we had outside was to the temple. The whole drive there we argued with the driver on which side of the road is the correct side. We say we drive on the right side of the road, they say they drive on the correct side of the road. So anytime we turned left, I said," turn correct up here!" (lol got em)   The temple was amazing. It is crazy to me that 7 years ago I was dreaming about going to the temple in South Africa and how that dream came true. The entire group of temple workers is from the US except for the temple president and a few individuals. The temple President was the mission president for the Pocatello mission a few years ago, and so when I told him where I was from, he looked at me funny and then started punching me in the ribs. It actually hurt, not gonna lie hahaha. But the temple was cool. I wish I could say more.

None of the plants here are soft, and it drives me nuts. The grass feels like walking on small spears. All of the leaves on trees are so stiff as well, but if you snap the leaves in half and smell them, it smells like sage brush. Reminds me of my ole' stompin grounds. The birds here are cool too and have interesting calls. There are some birds that the locals call Dodo birds, that look like turkeys but they just kinda run around all funny. 

I have played a lot of soccer, foursquare, and volley ball. I'm really starting to be a good volleyball player! Whilst playing soccer, I broke my big toenail off and I have been in pain of high amounts, but that doesn't stop me.

I'd like to share a scripture with ya'll. This is one that my brother Jesse requested me to read(email me btw Jess) It's Alma 30:44. If anyone is struggling with feeling the spirit or is wondering if God is there, read this.

I love you all and I love my mission! I'll try to send pictures!
Stay possitive, and progress!!!
-Elder Moser

No comments:

Post a Comment

POSTDATE: Update on remaining missionaries

March 25, 2020 Dear Parents and Priesthood Leaders:   We want to give you an update on your missionary and the circumstances here in the ...